Frequently Asked Questions


 During what hours is City Hall open?

Monday through Friday, 8:00am -4:30 pm, except for weather emergencies and the following holidays:

  • New Year's Day
  • Martin Luther King Day
  • President's Day
  • Memorial Day
  • Independence Day
  • Labor Day
  • Veterans Day
  • Thanksgiving Day
  • Day after Thanksgiving
  • Christmas Day

 Where can I pay my utility bill?

You may pay your utility bill at the City Office Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. or by credit or debit card on the home page of this website.

You may also pay your bill at the Farmer's and Merchants State Bank, located at 11 N. Walker Ave. Be sure to make a notation with your account number on your check.

Or, you may send your payment to: P.O. Box H, New York Mills, MN  56567.

Payments are due by the 25th of each month.

 When does the City Council meet?

The City Council typically meets the 2nd Tuesday of every month at 4:30 p.m. in the City Council Chambers at the City Center Building, 118 North Main.   The public forum portion of the meeting generally begins at 5:00 p.m. You are always welcome to address any concerns during the public forum, but you are limited to a three-minute time frame.  If you have a specific matter that cannot be addressed within three minutes or that requires council action, you need to have your item added to the agenda.  To do so, please refer to the question below "How do I get on the agenda for council meetings". 
Please check back to this website for changes in meeting time or date, or for announcements of special council meetings.

 How do I get on the Agenda for a City Council Meeting?

The Council generally meets the 2nd Tuesday of each month at 4:30 p.m., with a public forum at 5:00 p.m. You are always welcome to address any concerns during the public forum, but you are limited to a three minute time frame.   If you have a specific matter that cannot be addressed within three minutes or that requires council action, you need to have your item added to the agenda.  To do so, you should complete an agenda request form, and return it to  the City Clerk no later than 12:00 pm (noon) on the Friday prior to the meeting, to put your item on the agenda.  if you have any information to enclose in the agenda packet, 12 copies are needed.  (If you request to be added to the agenda after the deadline noted above, the Council may decline to take action since they have not had ample time to research and consider your request.)  Public agenda items are addressed immediately following the public forum. Please click on the following link to download your request form.

 Can I reserve a park shelter for an event?

Other than for "The Barn" in the City's Sculpture Park, the City does not "reserve" park shelters, however, you may post your event on the City calendar and check for conflicts with other planned events.  You can sign up for use of a park shelter by contacting the City Office at 218-385-2213.  Notice of your planned event may be posted on-site at the shelter one day in advance.  When you hold an event at a park shelter, you will be responsible for disposing of garbage that is generated.
Renting The Barn:
The Barn is located in the NYM Sculpture Park, North Broadway Ave/Cty Hwy 67 & Township Pkwy, New York Mills.  Rental Rates for The Barn are:
Cleaning & Damage Deposit (due with rental agreement)   $50
NYM Resident Weekday (Mon-Thurs):    $30 
NYM Resident Weekend (Fri-Sun):         $55
Non-Resident Weekday (M-Th):              $40 
Non-Resident Weekend (F-S):                 $75 
**Non-Profit Organizations get 50% off rental rate (Non-Profits still pay Deposit)
The Renter must sign  a rental agreement, which is available from the City Office by stopping up at 28 Centennial 84 Drive West, or calling 218-385-2213.  Due to the high demand for the shelter during the summer months, a reservation is not official until this Rental Agreement is completed and the $50 deposit has been paid.  The deposit shall be returned if the City Staff determines that all the conditions of this agreement have been met. Reservations are first come, first serve (deposit required to secure reservation).
Park Hours are from 9 am - 10 pm.
Alcohol:  Consumption of alcoholic beverages is Prohibited on city property, unless the renting party applies for a temporary permit through the City Office AT LEAST 1 WEEK PRIOR to the rental date and receives a temporary permit.
For more information on renting this facility, contact the City Office at 218-385-2213.

 How do I reserve the City Hall Ballroom for an event?

Use of the City Hall facilities will be on a first come, first served basis.  Application forms may be obtained from the City Clerk's office during normal staff hours, or they may be mailed to you.  We will hold the hall for you verbally for a period of 14 days, at which time, a deposit must be received to secure the date.  The cost of the damage deposit is currently $150.00.  The ballroom books very quickly, so please call well in advance of your event.  Cost of renting the hall for a wedding dance or similar event is $500.00 for the day.  If you wish to reserve the day before your event for decorating, an additional $75 is required, for a total of $575.00.  This rental fee is due the day before your event.  Security is required for any dance.  The City provides this and the cost is included in your rental fee. For other events such as meetings and non-profit events and more complete information on the ballroom,  please refer to the City Hall Ballroom portion of this website found under the City Departments tab.

 When do I need to get a Zoning Permit?

You will need to obtain a zoning permit any time you change the footprint of your home or any structure on your lot.  Zoning permits are generally required for new construction, additions and alterations, but not for maintenance.  For Example:  Zoning permits are required for storage sheds, decks, fences, and dog kennels, but they are not required if you are residing, reshingling or replacing windows in your home or structure.  Permits may also be also needed if you plan to change the use of your business, start a business out of your home, or if you plan to move a structure onto your lot. Check with the City regarding permits for signs and structures such as arbors, pagodas and play houses.  Please refer to the city's Zoning Ordinance No. 125 for complete information.  If you have a question, please call the city office at 218-385-2213.  Application forms are available at the city office or by clicking on the link below:

 Where do I apply for a dog or cat license?

Dog and cat licenses are handled by the City Clerk's office.  Forms are available at City Hall.  Dog Licenses are currently $20.00 for a two year license, but the fee is subject to change.

Cat licenses are $10.00 for a two year license.